World Toilet Day is a United Nations (UN) observance, on November 19, that highlights a serious problem – 2.5 billion people in the DO NOT have access to proper sanitation.
Here are seven key facts you need to know about the problem:
- 40% of the world — more than 2.5 billion people — lack access to improved sanitation.
- Over the past 200 years, toilets have added twenty years to the human lifespan.
- As a part of the 2030 Sustainable Development goals, the UN hopes to ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- More people in the world have access to mobile phones than toilets.
- Poor sanitation increases the risk for malnutrition and disease, especially for women and children.
- Diarrheal disease is the second leading cause of death among children under five and is entirely preventable with access to proper sanitation and clean water.
- For every dollar invested in water and sanitation, there is a $4.30 return in the form of reduced healthcare costs around the world.
Did you know that the rainwater collected from rain barrels can be used to flush your toilet ! How cool is that?
REFER A NON-PROFIT
Do you know a non-profit organization or school that would like to fundraise with us in 2018? Learn how to refer them and receive your choice of a FREE rain barrel, downspout diverter or rain barrel stand.
RainBarrel.ca partners with non-profit organizations to host rain barrel fundraising sales. For more information, please visit RainBarrelFundraising.com/Partnership.